Saturday, May 30, 2009

Cajun for Wimps


http://www.highstreetcaffe.com/img/uploads/letseatcajun.jpg
At first glance one (that being me) who can't handle spicy, cajun or blackened anything would say it wasn't too smart going to the High Street Cafe in West Chester. But that one (again, me) would be wrong. The High Street is a funky restaurant located at the end of the main drag in downtown WC. The cuisine is gourmet cajun and creole style and it's the only restaurant of it's kind in the area.

I forced myself to not to eat more than one slice of the warm bread and seasoned butter before my entree. That took major willpower. I had the cajun popcorn shrimp caesar salad minus the cheese with the dressing on the side. I must not have minded that it packed a little punch because I nearly cleaned the plate. The key lime pie was made fresh by Kevin, our friendly waiter. I'm a key lime pie connoisseur and I have to say this was real key lime pie. It was ridiculous i.e. good as heyl, key lime pie... Okay I'm off the key lime pie soapbox.

But don't just go there for the zesty food and wine. The staff is efficient and attentive. Donny Syracuse, the charming former rock band member and owner will greet you with a warm smile and make sure you're enjoying your meal. Dave Manley, acoustic jazz guitarist, will play some creative interpretations of familiar and not so familiar melodies that will make your experience as lively as your tastebuds.

Call for reservations, especially on the weekend. It gets packed.

The High Street Caffe
322 S. High Street
West Chester PA 19382
610-696-7435


1 comment: