Friday, May 8, 2009

The Tria Trifecta. Good. Food. Wine.

http://www.triacafe.com/about/images/tria_interior.jpg I finally checked out Tria after years of walking right by it. It's a wine, cheese and beer cafe located off Rittenhouse Square, Philly's posh spot to see and be seen. I met a friend there at 5pm for drinks and light fare.

Usually a light menu has me squirming in my chair mentally planning my "real" meal as soon as I leave. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how satisfying and yummy the food was. To start with I had Goat Cheese, Roasted Garlic and Pesto Bruschetta. Then I had a salad with Arugula, Beets, Goat Cheese, Crushed Almonds and Balsamic Vinaigrette. I was impressed by the varied and unpredictable wine menu that perfectly compliments the vittles. Two glasses of Bodega Benegas Malbec, off the "Bold Red" menu, were smooth and delightful. I (reluctantly) shared the Nutella Panino and Tria cookie plate--mmmm.

The vibe was cool and energetic. Completely unpretentious. A little noisy--so you might have to lean in when conversing. It's a small place that gets busy quickly.I suggest getting there early for a good seat because they don't accept reservations. I went on a weeknight and was amazed by how crowded it was by the time we left. Prices were reasonable. Most items are $10 and below. My friend and I split the bill which was around $45 for each person.

I'm definitely going back for more. Might even check out the Sunday wine school.

Tria
Rittenhouse Square * 18th & Sansom Streets * 215-972-TRIA
Washington Square West * 12th & Spruce Streets * 215-629-9200

No comments:

Post a Comment