Saturday, May 30, 2009

Let the Water Run

http://citypaper.net/food/dish-restaurant-guide/dishspring2K8/images/dish8-1.jpg Had brunch on Sunday afternoon at the Water Works Restaurant and Lounge. The weather was perfect for sitting under the canopy eating alfresco with Boathouse Row, across the Schuykill River, as the backdrop. Not a fan of buffets in general but this was special. I had lunchbr--started with lunch then worked my way back to breakfast. The salmon medallion with mesclun salad was so tasty it didn't need the balsamic dressing I was looking for. Shared what I think was the best belgium waffle I've ever tasted (ever) with my mother. I made up for that other half by indulging in petite fours and of course the obligatory mimosa. I was a very happy girl.

The eclectic group of diners included a small group of middle aged gay men, a European couple, and a Middle Eastern family of five. The staff was most hospitable even as they prepared for a wedding of 300 later that day.

Meeting the owner, Michael Karloutsos, was a treat. He was down to earth as he gave a brief history of the major restoration of Water Works from its previous life as a watering system, aquarium and public pool to the picturesque romantic vision it is today.

The experience was so memorable I tried to recreate it on Tuesday night. Dinner started off with a mediterranean plate of pita slices with hummus, olive tapenade and feta (too salty for my taste); followed by wild mushroom risotto and sauteed spinach. Deeeee-lish!

A stroll along Kelly Drive or visit to the Philadelphia Art Museum are a just few steps away.

The Water Works Restaurant and Lounge
640 Water Works Drive
Philadelphia PA 19130
215-236-9000

No comments:

Post a Comment