Thursday, April 22, 2010

Iris Barrel Apfel Exhibit

This is an old post but I had to re-share! I was inspired by seeing this fabulous style icon in the May issue of W magazine. I've always said how much I prefer accessories and jewelry even more than clothes (I inherited that from my grandmother for sure). I love that Madame Iris shares the philosophy that accessories can transform the most basic outfit. Her uninhibited self expression is infectious!

http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons1/291/2916226/13_2009/b6ea8c8ca2b511a8_iris.png

December 11, 2005

I trekked to New York yesterday. It was cold and I was tired but very excited about embarking on a brief adventure. My destination-- a costume exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art- "Rara Avis: Selections from the Iris Barrel Apfel Collection."

Iris Barrel Apfel has an amazing collection of unique fashion and accessories from around the world. I envy her bold, chunky jewelry from India, Tunisia, and the Caribbean. She is not afraid to mix cultures or styles. I love that she pairs couture with ready to wear effortlessly. Granted I wouldn't wear all the pieces together as they were displayed. The average person could not pull off some of the dramatic ensembles without looking costume-y. Yet somehow it all works.

That's what individual style is about; making it your own. Layering seemingly unrelated pieces in a way that is deeply personal. Take risks. I left the exhibit feeling inspired to look once again at my own collection and kick it up a notch.

A must see for anyone who appreciates fashion.

The Costume Institute, Ground Floor. September 13, 2005-January 22, 2006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzf_WPqsmTM


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGMri955yyo

Iris Barrel Apfel Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment